This professional learning case study is by Sharon Messina, Director of Education & Research at the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR).
The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR) Learning Portal is a one-stop-shop for College members, encompassing an online Continuing Professional Development (CPD) module and a Learning Management System (LMS).
The concept of the RANZCR Learning Portal emerged from consultation with key stakeholders during strategic planning for the Education & Research Portfolio throughout September – November 2009. The concept was further consolidated based on the results of the training needs analysis (TNA) conducted from December 2010 to June 2011.
Finally, the need for CPD online was confirmed as the hot topic of the day in the December 2011- March 2012 survey of members regarding development of the new triennium programs.
The CPD component of the RANZCR Learning Portal.
In early 2011 we looked at a number of IT solutions before choosing Genix as an IT partner. Our decision was based on:
- their extensive IT consulting and design track record;
- their systematic approach to design;
- their track record within the health management field, particularly medical specialist colleges.
With Genix, the College developed a cradle-to-grave approach, including:
- Trainee Information Management System (TIMS);
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) system;
- Learning management system (LMS);
- e-exam (e-MCQ and e-film reporting).
Never having had an LMS, RANZCR had to have something to populate the LMS.
Based on areas raised as requiring resources in the mid-July 2011 TNA, an application was made for Round 3 of the RHCE Funding Allocations to develop an e-learning library (equivalent to 10 hours) in the non-medical specialist areas of Manager, Communication and Professional.
In December 2011 we were advised that we were successful in obtaining a grant to design approximately 18 modules (of between 25 – 45 minutes in length) over 2 phases, primarily for rural specialists but generic enough to be useful for all members.
The LMS for the RANZCR Learning Portal.
Twelve months after beginning development RANZCR is going live in August 2012 with the launch of the Learning Portal, CPD, LMS, and e-MCQ, followed in Q2 2013 by e-film reporting, an e-exam question bank, and TIMS.
Phase 1 modules (9) will be launched on 1 August while the Phase 2 modules (9) will be launched over a period of 5 months from December 2012 to April 2013.
Phase 1 Topics
- Communication Essentials: Internal Communication
- Communication Essentials: External Communication Part 1
- Communication Essentials: External Communication Part 2
- Communication Essentials: Performance Feedback for Positive Change Part 1
- Communication Essentials: Feedback for Positive Change Part 2
- Management Essentials: The Role of Manager Part 1
- Management Essentials: The Role of Manager Part 2
- Management Essentials: Understanding Self as Manager
- Management Essentials: Managing Others
Phase 2 topics
- Professionals’ Essentials: Characteristics of Leadership Part 1
- Professionals’ Essentials: Characteristics of Leadership Part 2
- Management Essentials: Planning for Change
- Management Essentials: Transitioning through Change
- Management Essentials: How to conduct a meeting
- Management Essentials: Meeting Tool Kit
- Management Essentials: Conflict Resolution process
- Management Essentials: Manager’s Role in Conflict Resolution
- Management Essentials: The Recruitment & Selection Process
- Management Essentials: Behavioural Questioning and Post Selection Feedback
If you would like us to showcase your professional learning initiatives, email Chris Shorten (chshorten [at] wiley.com) or send us a tweet @WileyProLearn.